How to Have Fun while Getting Fit
Spring is the time for rediscovering the joy of movement
Fitness should never be a chore. At Scorca Chiropractic Center, we think you should either grow to love your fitness routine or change it completely. There is no point putting your body through exercises that your brain does not enjoy. A more intelligent and effective way of getting fit is to pursue activities that feel like fun- so think for a second, what activity do I really love? You may be surprised to find yourself thinking about how much you used to enjoy playing soccer as a kid. Well, there is no reason why you can’t join an adult rec league and play soccer still! This is the idea behind keeping fitness fun and here are some more ways we have brainstormed:
Making fitness fun
- The brain can burn calories too: playing an instrument or doing something crafty gets your brain engaged and your body moving.
- Video games can force you to be active: if you choose the right ones… it’s amazing how sweaty you can get playing Wii Sports for 30 minutes.
- Backyard games: what ever happened to playing catch?
- Change up the routine: rather than running around a track for an hour, run through the city or a park with varied scenery.
- Try something new: canoe, for example. Something that is way outside your normal realm of activity but that you secretly nurture a craving to try.
Getting fit is not the primary goal
The purpose of adopting these ideas is to make fitness a byproduct, rather than the sole goal. Many of us are not born with the drive to spend all day at the gym or running around a track, but we still need a healthy dose of movement to keep our bodies optimally healthy. Use this springtime to think outside the standard fitness box and discover new activities. You will be getting fit and healthy, but most importantly, you will be getting happy!
Dr. Francis Scorca, D.C.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.