At Scorca Chiropractic Center, we want people to lead a healthy back care lifestyle: this includes a focus on properly supported resting positions. There are a few basic positions that most humans will pass through in a given day: prone for sleeping, sitting and standing. Your back’s health is at the mercy of these positions every single day. At our practice in Fremont, we can teach you how to make sure your back is in a healthful state no matter what your life calls upon you to do.
Workplace ergonomics is a complicated sounding term that should essentially mean: a healthy seated position. Wouldn’t it be nice to leave work every day without an aching back, tingly arms and a stiff neck? This is easier than you think and you can start by using this posture throughout the work day. Every time you catch yourself sliding lower in your seat or leaning toward the computer, just sit up straight and remember:
- Butt back in the chair, sitting up tall
- Knees equal/slightly lower than hips with feet flat on the ground
- Shoulders relaxed, with arms supported and wrists straight
- Keyboard and monitor centered in front of you to keep the neck neutral
- Top of the monitor should be 2-3 inches above your seated eye level to prevent cricking the neck for extended periods of time.
It may seem like a lot at first, but it will quickly become second nature. Take small breaks as often as possible: do not get sucked into a time vortex where you wake up and realize you have been sitting at the computer for 4 hours without moving anything but your fingers on the keyboard.
For help on fine-tuning your workplace setting for optimal health, call our office at (510) 656-9077. We hope to help people find that good health starts with good posture.
Dr. Francis Scorca, D.C.